Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Water Report

I rarely feel geeky about home brewing. I'm sure I do a lot of geeky things in regards to home brewing but to me it seems well within the confines of normal behavior for any enthusiastic hobbyist. About a week ago I sent out a sample of carbon filtered Waco water to Ward Laboratories to be analyzed and for the first time I felt like a verifiable home brewing geek.

Sodium: 16
Calcium: 51
Magnesium: 5
Hardness as CaCO3: 148
Sulfate: 36
Chloride: 20
Bicarbonate: 138
Total Alkalinity: 113

Much to my surprise, Waco water isn't all that bad for brewing once you run it through a carbon filter and take out some of the chlorine/chloramines. Without adjustment, this water appears to work best for amber colored, moderately bitter beers. I'm still trying to figure this whole water thing out, but at least this gives me an excuse to try a Nugget Nectar clone.

No comments:

Post a Comment